Three finalists from each category will be exhibited at the Science Museum of Minnesota from March 7 to April 30, 2017. 1st place prizes will be awarded in each category on Saturday, March 18.
Anyone is eligible to participate but all finalists must be able to transport their designs to and from Science Museum of Minnesota on the designated dates.
Deadline for submissions: Wednesday, February 15, 2017.
Judging will be based on the following categories:
- 4-7 years old
- 8-12 years old
- 13-17 years old
- 18 and older
- Groups/Families (multiple people working on one design such as a class or a family)
|December 15:||Design Challenge announced, registration begins|
|February 15:||Final day for submissions|
|February 23:||Notification of finalists|
|February 27 - March 4:||Finalists drop off their LEGO creations at the museum between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. (by appointment)|
|March 7 - April 30:||Finalists on display|
|March 18:||1st place awards announced|
|May 1-5:||Finalists pick up their LEGO creations from the museum between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. (by appointment)|
Rules and other Details
- One submission per individual or group.
- Entries must register and submit through smm.org and must include a photograph of the LEGO creation.
- Designs may not exceed 18” W x 18” L x 18” H.
- All entries must be original designs, not based on LEGO-designed kits or instructions found online, in a magazine, etc.
- Entries will be judged on building skill (based on entrant’s age category), creativity, and originality.
- Entries must be able to drop off and pick up their submissions on the dates indicated in the timeline above.
- Entries must consist entirely of LEGO, Duplo, Megablocks, or other LEGO-compatible plastic bricks and related pieces.
- Gluing or otherwise affixing pieces to one another is permitted.
- All possible care will be taken in the handling and display of the finalist’s creations. Entrants accept that the Science Museum of Minnesota is not responsible for loss or damage to any entry.
- Science Museum of Minnesota staff, volunteers, and their family members are not eligible to participate.
- LEGO is a trademark of the LEGO Group, and does not sponsor, authorize, or endorse this program.
Finalists in each category will receive four complimentary admission passes to the Science Museum of Minnesota and Omnitheater.
1st place winners in each category will receive: a $25 gift card to the Science Museum of Minnesota’s Explore Store.