Engineering with Geometry: The Strength of Structures
Date: Saturday, June 30, 2018
Time: 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Location: Science Museum of Minnesota, 120 West Kellogg Blvd., Saint Paul, MN
The Kadet Program of the Kitty Andersen Youth Science Center (KAYSC) at the Science Museum of Minnesota is designed to introduce middle and high school students to the STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) Justice framework. In this workshop, participants will explore the relationship between math and the natural world, with a particular focus on geometry. We will quickly review basic geometry, how these shapes can be found in nature, and how they make up structures. You will then have the opportunity to apply your learning to engineer a structure that helps an egg successfully withstand a fall!
- Wear clothing and shoes that you are not too worried about getting messed up!
- Space is limited! The workshop is first come, first serve! RSVP here by June 22.
- We will provide bus passes for those who want to take the bus home.
Youth Science Day
Come to Youth Science Day and get inspired to change the world! At Youth Science Day, you’ll discover the exciting world of STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math), meet the youth of the KAYSC and other youth organizations, and see the awesome work they do to improve our communities through STEM. Alongside them and throughout the museum, our presenting sponsor Andersen Corporation, and other community partners, will also present engaging STEM activities.
This event is hosted by young people, for young people, and it’s a great way to get inspired about STEM and your future.
NEW FOR 2018! Vocation Vibes
Youth Science Day is adding Vocation Vibes this year for high school aged and young adult-aged individuals who are interested in career options in STEM fields.
- Each attendee will get a free Linkedin photo taken for their profile
- Free parking or Metro Transit pass for attendees
- Job leads and information about STEM jobs! STEM employers will present tables with information about job offerings at their organization; plus information on skills needed for these jobs
- 15-minute workshops offered on relevant topics to secure STEM jobs
- After attending you will receive a free entry ticket to the Science Museum of Minnesota exhibits
12 p.m. - 3 p.m.
Youth Science Day Presenters throughout the museum - Youth Science Day presenters are included in your admission for the museum
3 - 5 p.m.
Vocation Vibes - Discovery Hall at the Science Museum. Vocation Vibes is a free event, museum admission is not required.
Four kids free with full-price adult admission for Youth Science Day
Admission to the event is included in museum admission. On April 7, get up to four kids free with full-price adult admission (ages 17 and under). Special rates for people with limited income are available. Discount not available online. Note: museum admission does not include the Dream Big Omnitheater film.
Free Metro Transit rides
Leave your car behind - Metro Transit is offering free rides on buses and light rails from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. for Youth Science Day. Get your free pass today!