It's a simple truth.
People are different. Throughout history, these differences have been a source of community strength and personal identity. They have also been the basis for discrimination and oppression.
The idea of "race" has been used historically to describe these differences and justify mistreatment of people and even genocide. Today, contemporary scientific understanding of human variation is beginning to challenge "racial" differences, and even question the very concept of race.
RACE: Are We So Different?, developed by the American Anthropological Association in collaboration with the Science Museum of Minnesota, is the first national exhibition to tell the stories of race from the biological, cultural, and historical points of view. Combining these perspectives offers an unprecedented look at race and racism in the United States.
RACE: Are We So Different? was the 2008 "Excellence in Exhibition Competition" winner by the American Association of Museums.
5,000 sq. ft. Exhibit Features
- A Project of the American Anthropological Association
- Designed for families and teens
- Engaging interactive content
- Flexible installation in as little as 3,000 sq. ft.
- Accompanying website with interactive tools
- Educational materials for onsite and community use
- Flexible community outreach / promotions toolkit
- 24-hour Technical support
- An exhibitor friendly, turnkey operation
- Flexible Terms
- Booking deposit
- Installation period of eight days for installation and six days for take down
- Host provides set-up & take-down crew of 6
- Certificates of insurance
- Deposit required upon booking
- Host institution pays inbound shipping for 3 trailer loads
Traveling Exhibition Venue Schedule
|Location||Open Date||Close Date||Status|
|Berkeley, CA||Jan. 2010||May 2010||Completed|
|Rochester, MN||May 2010||Sept. 2010||Completed|
|Phoenix, AZ||Oct. 2010||Jan. 2011||Completed|
|Charlotte, NC||Feb. 2011||May 2011||Completed|
|New Orleans, LA||June 2011||Sept. 2011||Completed|
|Houston, TX||Oct. 2011||Jan. 2012||Completed|
|Richmond, VA||Jan. 2012||April 2012||Completed|
|Portland, OR||Sept. 2012||Jan. 2013||Completed|
|Jacksonville, FL||Jan. 2013||April 2013||Completed|
|Birmingham, AL||May 2013||March 2014||Completed|
|Pittsburgh, PA||March 2014||Oct. 2014||Completed|
|Refurbished||Nov. 15, 2014||Sept. 6, 2015||Refurbished|
|Des Moines, IA||Nov. 2015||April 2016||Completed|
|Columbia, SC||June 2016||Sept. 2016||Booked|
|Louisville, KY||Sept. 2016||Jan. 2017||Booked|
|Available||Jan. 2017||April 2017||Available|
|Available||May 2017||Sept. 2017||Available|
|Available||Sept. 2017||Jan. 2018||Available|
|Available||Feb. 2018||May 2018||Available|