About Your Lungs
Lungs Animations and Interactives
Interactive: View the lungs from the outside
and the inside
View the entire vascular system
Animation: View a working respiratory system->
Lessons About Your Lungs
Lung Model | Ins
and Outs of Respiration | Catch Your
Breath | O2 CO2
Amazing Lung Facts
- At rest, a person breathes about 14 to 16 times per minute. After
exercise it could increase to over 60 times per minute.
- New babies at rest breathe between 40 and 50 times per minute. By
age five it decreases to around 25 times per minute.
- The total surface area of the alveoli (tiny air sacs in the lungs)
is the size of a tennis court.
- The lungs are the only organ in the body that can float on water.
- The lungs produce a detergent-like substance which reduces the surface
tension of the fluid lining, allowing air in.