Our support of educators implementing the EiE curriculum extends beyond the classroom. We provide support to address issues, answer questions, and provide continuing professional development.
Lesson-Specific Teaching Tips
- Maglev: Read helpful teaching tips about the EiE Maglev Unit.
- Marvelous Machines: Read helpful teaching tips about the EiE Marvelous Machines Unit.
- Membranes: Read helpful teaching tips about the EiE Membranes Unit.
- Oil Spills: Read helpful teaching tips about the EiE Oil Spills Unit.
- Sound: Read helpful teaching tips about the EiE Sound Unit.
- Water Filters: Read helpful teaching tips about the EiE Water Filters Unit.
Our professional development participants have brainstormed ways to integrate EiE into other content areas. Read these helpful ideas and see how you can integrate EiE throughout your day.
- Maglev: Integration Ideas for the Maglev EiE Unit
- Marvelous Machines: Integration Ideas for the Machines Unit
- Membranes: Integration Ideas for the Membranes Unit
- Oil Spills: Integration Ideas for the Oil Spills Unit
- Sound: Integration Ideas for the Sound Unit
- Water Filters: Integration Ideas for the Water Filters EiE Unit
Additional EiE Resources from Museum of Science, Boston
EiE Educator Resources
Engineering is Elementary Educator Resources Teaching Tools Homepage.
Includes links to
- Video Resources
- online videos created by EiE staff, designed to help you organize and prepare materials for lessons from EiE units
- videos of classroom teachers implementing EiE lessons in their classrooms
- Content Connections
- A searchable, dynamic database of lessons, authored by EiE staff, teachers, or community members, that connect mathematics, science, language arts, fine arts, and social studies lessons with EiE units.
The 20 Units (all EiE classroom units)
For each unit, there are summaries of the unit, and Downloads (pdf files)
- Unit Overview - brief summary of each lesson (1-4) and storybook
- Materials List - photos and materials list
- Related Science and Standards for K-5
- For each lesson: estimated time to prep and teach, lesson summary, engineering objectives, suggested assessment, tie-in science content, FOSS unit connections, ITEEA Standards
- Storybook Images
The Cargill Foundation funded EiE project funded implementation of the following units in Minneapolis Public Schools (MPS) and Hopkins Public Schools (HPS):
- Grade 3
Organisms/Basic Needs: Just Passing Through: Designing Model Membranes (MPS & HPS)
Sound: Sounds Like Fun: Seeing Animal Sounds (MPS)
- Grade 4
Magnetism: The Attraction is Obvious: Designing Maglev Systems (MPS & HPS)
Water: Water, Water Everywhere: Designing Water Filters (MPS)
- Grade 5
Simple Machines: Marvelous Machines: Making Work Easier (MPS & HPS)
Ecosystems: A Slick Solution: Cleaning an Oil Spill (MPS)
EiE Kit Materials