The Big Back Yard is closed for the season and will re-open in Summer 2015.
The Big Back Yard's hands-on exhibits and miniature golf course illustrate landscape evolution, river dynamics, and biodiversity. In addition, this outdoor gallery features a prairie maze, gardens, a camera obscura, and an award-winning solar-powered building.
- In 9 holes of EarthScapes Mini-Golf, learn about the theme of 'source to sink'—how landscapes erode, how rivers transport sediment, and what happens to sediment when it reaches the ocean.
- Walk into the Camera Obscura (Latin for "dark room"), and see an image of the outside world projected on the opposite wall.
- Learn how water and land can affect each other.
- Walk through a maze of prairie plants native to Minnesota.
- Admire our Native American gardens and check out the Big Back Yard plant guide.
- Enjoy lunch at a picnic table.